Sean McGarr, DO, is medical director of the GI Oncology Program.
When you need expert gastrointestinal and GI oncology health care, you can rest assured that
Dr. McGarr and the cancer center team use the latest technology, diagnoses, surgeries and treatments.
A gastroenterologist specializing in GI oncology, Dr. McGarr has particular interest and expertise in:
- Therapeutic endoscopy
- Fine needle aspiration (FNA)
- Argon plasma coagulation (APC)
- Endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR)
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Luminal stenting
In addition to seeing patients at the cancer center, Dr. McGarr sees patients at MaineGeneral Gastroenterology at the Alfond Center for Health in Augusta.
He trained at top-rated gastroenterology fellowship programs at the National Institutes of Health and Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia and is one of the only gastroenterologists in Maine to complete a year of quality-monitored training following a three-year general gastroenterology fellowship.
Dr. McGarr is one of less than five percent of gastroenterologists nationwide to be certified as an interventional endoscopist, based on his performance of at least 300 advanced ERCP/EUS, Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)/reflux/cancer screening and surveillance procedures under supervision.
For more information, please call (207) 621-4600.
Kristi Stetson, RN, BSN is our GI nurse navigator. She is here to help and support you and your family during a confusing and stressful time. She:
- serves as the liaison between patients and families and your health care team to make sure communications are clear;
- explains medical treatment in a way you understand;
- can refer you to additional services which may help, including nutrition counseling, support groups, transportation help, counseling, financial counseling, spiritual support and palliative care; and
- works for you and your family to make sure you get the care you need.
If you want to talk to Kristi, please call 621-6136.