Nuclear medicine is an imaging specialty used to diagnose and treat diseases. It allows technologists to get information by noninvasive diagnostic testing.
MaineGeneral Nuclear Medicine offers a wide range of procedures.
Your physician may order a study to help monitor or diagnose a problem affecting your:
- Cardiovascular system, such as coronary artery disease
- Endocrine system, such as hyperthyroidism (Graves' disease)
- Digestive system, such as acute gastrointestinal bleeding
- Urinary system, such as urinary tract obstruction
- Musculoskeletal system, such as bone injury (often associated with sports injuries)
- Pulmonary (breathing) system, such as pulmonary emboli
We also work with other medical specialties to treat and manage different diseases. Therapies offered in conjunction with nuclear medicine include:
- Radioiodine therapy for overactive thyroid and thyroid cancer
- Radioimmunotherapy for blood cancer
If you have questions or would like more information, please call Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging at:
Alfond Center for Health, Augusta: (207) 626-1417
Thayer Center for Health, Waterville: (207) 872-1044