We recognize that not all health care services are planned.
Some families do not have health insurance or are underinsured and need help to pay for services received at MaineGeneral Medical Center. We're here to help.
Our financial counselors help current and potential patients determine their eligibility for financial assistance.
Self-Pay and Prompt Payment Discounts
MaineGeneral and its physician practices offer a "self-pay discount" for patients who do not have insurance and are self-pay for their health care services.
Depending on where services are provided (medical center or physician practice site), the discount:
- Either will be automatically deducted from the billing statement before it is sent to the patient; or
- A notice about the availability of the discount will be included with the statement, directing patients to call MaineGeneral's Business Office to learn how to obtain it.
MaineGeneral also offers a "prompt payment discount" for self-pay balances, including balances after insurance and those for patients without insurance.
Please call (207) 872-4680 or toll-free 1 (877) 255-4680 to learn more about these payment discount options.
Patients often find it helpful to know how much a procedure or test is going to cost before they have it done, especially if they do not have insurance and are self-paying for the procedure.
If you would like to know the cost of a procedure or test, please call (207) 621-5397 or e-mail us at email@example.com. Our staff will be happy to assist you.
MaineGeneral offers two programs that provide financial assistance to patients:
- Uncompensated Services. This program can help with current and outstanding bills. Eligibility is based on Maine residency, income, expenses and asset levels, and applicants cannot be eligible for the MaineCare program.
Your bills could be forgiven or reduced. Certain other providers of healthcare services will accept your eligibility for this program instead of payment.
Our financial counselors can help you:
- Determine whether you are eligible for financial assistance
- Determine which programs to apply for
- Help you complete the application process
- Help you apply for state- and federally-funded programs such as MaineCare
- Set up payment arrangements if you do not quality for a program based on income and asset levels
If you would like to meet with a financial counselor or would like more information, please call (207) 872-4680
or toll-free 1 (877) 255-4680
, option 3, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.