We recognize that not all health care services are planned.
Some families do not have health insurance or are underinsured and need help to pay for services received at MaineGeneral Medical Center.
We're here to help.
Our financial counselors help current and potential patients determine their eligibility for financial assistance.
» View/print a copy of MaineGeneral's Financial Assistance brochure
» View/print a copy of MaineGeneral's Financial Assistance Policy (English)
» View/print a copy of MaineGeneral's Financial Assistance Policy (Arabic)
» View/print a copy of MaineGeneral's Free Care Income Guidelines
Self-Pay and Prompt Payment Discounts
MaineGeneral and its physician practices offer a "self-pay discount"
for patients who do not have insurance and are self-pay for their health care services.
Depending on where services are provided (medical center or physician practice site), the discount:
- Either will be automatically deducted from the billing statement before it is sent to the patient; or
- A notice about the availability of the discount will be included with the statement, directing patients to call MaineGeneral's Business Office to learn how to obtain it.
MaineGeneral also offers a "prompt payment discount"
for self-pay balances, including balances after insurance and those for patients without insurance.
Please call (207) 872-4680
or toll-free 1 (877) 255-4680
to learn more about these payment discount options.
Patients often find it helpful to know how much a procedure or test is going to cost before they have it done, especially if they do not have insurance and are self-paying for the procedure.
If you would like to know the cost of a procedure or test, please call (207) 621-5397
or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Our staff will be happy to assist you.
MaineGeneral offers a program that provides financial assistance to patients:
- Free Care. This program can help with current and outstanding bills. Eligibility is based on Maine residency, income, expenses and asset levels.
Your bills could be forgiven or reduced. Certain other providers of healthcare services will accept your eligibility for this program instead of payment. Please call (207) 872-4680, option 3, for more information
Our financial counselors can help you:
- Determine whether you are eligible for financial assistance
- Determine which programs to apply for
- Help you complete the application process
- Help you apply for state- and federally-funded programs such as MaineCare
- Set up payment arrangements if you do not quality for a program based on income and asset levels
Medical Staff Providing Qualifying Medical Services at MaineGeneral
MaineGeneral Medical Center (MGMC) maintains a list of its medical staff who provide qualifying medical services at MaineGeneral. The list is updated regularly to ensure it remains accurate and up-to-date.
If you would like to meet with a financial counselor or would like more information, please call (207) 872-4680
or toll-free 1 (877) 255-4680
, option 3, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.