MaineGeneral provides intensive outpatient care for adults with
mental health issues.
Clients attend group therapy and education sessions four hours
per day, four to five days per week. Clients are usually in the
program for four to six weeks.
These programs are ideal for people just discharged from
inpatient programs or in some cases, as an alternative to
In Waterville, intensive outpatient services are provided at
MGMC's Seton Campus. Augusta Intensive Outpatient Services are
provided at 9 Spruce Street.
Services include group treatment and individual and family
counseling, and referral for psychiatric services. Specialized
treatment for co-occurring substance abuse is offered. In Augusta
the IOP also offers outpatient DBT (Dialectical Behavioral
Therapy) groups weekly.
Issues addressed in groups effectively promote the healing
process and help participants:
- Reduce fears, anxieties and depression
- Manage anger, guilt and shame
- Curb destructive impulses and behavior
- Regulate emotions and tolerate distress
- Express thoughts and feelings
- Practice interpersonal effectiveness and communication skills
- Deal with addictions while finding healthy alternatives
- Build structure to their days
- Set limits
- Replace negative self-talk with positive affirmations
- Explore personal values and beliefs
- Receive information about medication and their proper use
For more information or to request a referral, please call our
central access number toll-free (877) 777-9393.