A hospital stay can be a frightening, anxious and sometimes lonely experience. At MaineGeneral, our Spiritual Care staff recognizes that your spiritual care is also an important part of the healing process.
Our chaplains work with medical staff to address our patients' spiritual needs to provide them with the highest level of patient care. We also support hospital staff.
Health concerns or crises often raise issues such as meaning, hope and purpose. Spirituality is a resource for coping with illness or injury.
Through a holistic approach to health care, our spiritual caregivers respect and respond to patients' values and beliefs. We work with the medical center staff, patients and their families to:
- Promote care shaped by concern for the whole person
- Respond to different spiritual and cultural needs and practices
- Advocate for and support families with different ethical and medical decisions
- Encourage sensitivity to the healing power in religious practices and rituals
At the Alfond Center for Health, our nondenominatinal Spiritual Center offers a place for patients and families of all faiths to find respite and solace.
Nestled between two hospital wings, the single-story spiritual space is literally a world of its own. Three walls feature etched glass that allows an abundance of natural light while still preserving privacy. A beautiful hand-built prayer wall provides a place to offer written notes or messages.
For more information or to request services, please call:
- Alfond Center for Health Spiritual Care Office: (207) 626-1269
- Waterville Campus Spiritual Care Office: (207) 872-1106