Preparing for and caring for a new baby is both daunting and exciting.
We offer comprehensive educational classes and programs for the entire family to help you make a smooth and happy transition.
Our classes are taught by certified childbirth and parenting educators, MaineGeneral Maternity & Pediatrics nurses, board-certified lactation consultants and certified fitness instructors.
Our classes include:
- Prepared Childbirth Series (Lamaze): four-class program
- Prepared Childbirth (two classes) includes:
- Information on labor and birth
- Hospital procedures
- Medication options and anesthesia
- Partner’s role
- Cesarean birth
- Postpartum recovery
- Breathing and Relaxation Techniques for Childbirth (one class) includes:
- Visualization and imagery
- Positions for labor
- Breathing techniques and other comfort measures
- Baby Care Class (one class) includes:
- Hands-on practice in newborn bathing and diapering
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) prevention
- Safe sleep and American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations
- Handling common illnesses
- Infant development to six weeks
- Proper car seat installation and usage
The cost for this class is $49 per couple.
Visit our events calendar
to learn more about and register for any of our maternity education classes. You may also register for an upcoming class by calling 1-855-4MGHINFO (1-855-464-4463).